Nindethana Nursery was established by George William Francis Althofer (1903-1993) at his home in the Burrill Valley, Dripstone New South Wales, in 1932. Nindethana means ‘ours’ referring to the origins of the Australian native plants the nursery cultivated. The name was chosen to ‘reign amongst’1 the neighbouring townships of Burrendong, Wuuluman, and Morungulan. Althofer was a botanist, nurseryman, author, poet, and champion for the preservation of Australian flora.
The Catalogue 1941 Australian native plants – a plant for every purpose has been fully digitalised by The Alfred Deakin Prime Ministerial Library. The catalogue has general care advice and pricing on the inside cover, delivery, conservation, and bush fire prevention advice appear on the inside back cover, and a list of plants available for purchase with a short explanation of their features and use, span the sixteen pages within.
The story of Nindethana- a new and enlarged catalogue of Australian native plants is also part of the Special Collections of ADPML. This catalogue has eighty pages, twenty with black and white photographs dispersed throughout. Four of these are credited to P. Althofer, presumably Peter Althofer, GW's brother. In the centre of the catalogue there is a fold out page with a hand coloured (red and green only) photograph on either side.
Step inside, to the beautiful, endangered, and articulate world of GW Althofer.